Wednesday, September 10, 2003

Never gave up on Give Up

I don’t think I’ve mentioned it in this space but I’ve really got to get it out there and let people know just how good the Postal Service disc Give Up is. I downloaded it a few months ago and really enjoyed it but figured the novelty of the laptop blips and beats intertwined with some real world instrumentation and those oh-so-emo vocals would wear off rather quickly.

Earlier today I stopped by my local Tower Records to cast my consumer vote and pick up an actual copy of the album because my initial judgment couldn’t have been more off.

The disc has, over time, actually grown more impressive as the layers under the vocals keep revealing new little quirks and the blending of Benjamin Gibbard, Jen Wood and Jenny Lewis’ vocals over Jimmy Tamborello’s programming is one of the most successful electronic/rock endeavors ever. It’s sublime, it’s pretty and – most of all – it all works wonderfully to evoke a truly emotional response from even a casual listener.

It’s not particularly fancy or overtly flashy, though it certainly is stunning once you study the tunes, but we really need more pleasant surprises like this emerging into the light.

Go here for a sample of what I’m talking about.

And a word about The Pixies

Yes, they've reunited and yes I am excited. I do hope to God they don't ruin it by recording a new album and fucking up their legacy though. You can discuss it here if you like.

Oh yeah, and the RIAA?

They sued -- and settled with -- a twelve year old. I'm not even going to comment on this because I find it so offensive.

No comments: