Tuesday, March 08, 2005

A twinge of concern tightens up.

We're DJing tonight at Ten56 as usual. Now, anyone who's stuck around for the whole evening of music on a Tuesday can probably recite verbatim the closing soundbite I employ. It's the speech from Chasing Amy where the "militant" black cartoonist give a speech comparing Star Wars to gentrification and racism in general. It's an incredibly funny bit of dialogue that is funny primarily because it is slightly mean and contain more than a grain of truth.

However I've recently decided that unless you know the context that the discussion is lifted from this exchange is probably some pretty shocking stuff. I hope that I haven't offended anybody over the years but in case I have I think I've come across an even better closing monologue. Cedric the Entertainer delivers a doozy of a speech in Be Cool about white culture consuming black culture and I think that if I string the two speeches together one right after the other it will more effectively get across the sentiments I've always personally held regarding the Chasing Amy bit.

And if all else fails I can always fall back on the David Cross bit about lowering the age of consent to thirteen. That never confuses or offends anybody!


Dwight Ewell as Hooper X in Chasing Amy

No comments: