Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Triumph…

Tonight is the Three Year Anniversary Party for Sweet Alice Tuesdays and it's being held at innjoy! We’ve been through two bars, dozens of guest DJs, hundred of bad movies playing on over-sized television screens, a thousand and one sexy dances and countless shots of Makers Mark. Tonight we’re celebrating all of these things and more with DJ sets from yours truly and Rudy as well as a live set from the incredible glam pop sounds of The Ladies & Gentlemen! And what does all this cost you? NOTHING! It’s all free. And if that wasn’t enough, there’s an open bar from 9pm until 10pm, but make sure you print out this flyer¹ in order to take advantage of that added extra.²


So, to recap:


TONIGHT at INNJOY
3rd Anniversary Party
for
Sweet Alice Tuesdays
9pm until 2am
Live music from
The Ladies & Gentlemen
The Now Sounds of Today
spun by
DJs Tankboy & Rudy Tuesday
Open bar from 9pm until 10pm with flyer

DO NOT MISS THIS!

__________

…annoyance…

Sunday afternoon I was picking up some milk at the local White Hen when an older gentleman approached me with a clip-board. Our conversation was as follows.

OLDER GENTLEMAN: Hi, will you sign this petition to get John Stroger on the ballot again.
ME: Um, I don’t think so. I’m not really a fan.
OLDER GENTLEMAN: What, are you a fan of higher taxes?
ME: (shrugging I think to myself that’s kind of a loaded question with no easy answer.)
OLDER GENTLEMAN: Oh I get it, you’re a Republican!
ME: No, not at all actually.
OLDER GENTLEMAN: Well, whatever.

For the record, I will usually sign any petition anywhere since I think just about everyone deserves to be on a ballot. Stroger, however, is a pawn of the Democratic Machine here in Cook County (and is therefore merely a face chosen by the Chicago Machine) so there’s no chance he won’t get on the ballot. There’s even less of a chance that he’ll lose in the actual election. Now, as I said, I will usually sign any petition but in this case the candidate in question has already proved his incompetence and I don’t think he deserves to run again. If you’ve ever heard the man speak, or read reports from press conferences it becomes painfully obvious that the man did not get to where he was due to superior brain power.³ So no, older gentleman, I don’t feel the need to sign a petition in this particular instance.


__________

…and tragedy!

Yesterday I got up really early and was off to the gym a half hour before my usual start time. The fact that I was ahead of schedule and my morning was running perfectly should have alerted me to impending disaster but I blissfully moved on with my day. As I pulled my toasty car (I started it twenty minutes before leaving so it’s be all warmed up and the engine would be happy) I suddenly slipped out of gear. In an automatic car this is not a good thing. I limped along for a few blocks before giving in to the obvious fact that something was wrong and it wasn’t just going to fix itself. Luckily my mechanic is located a mile for my house so I crawled to his garage in first gear, surely upsetting the long trail of cars behind me. Sorry about that folks, there really was no way for me to go faster.

So I dropped off the car and then drove Photogal to work so I could borrow her Jeep and head to work myself. In the afternoon I got the call, my transmission needed to be replaced and it was going to cost me a minimum of $2,300.00. Two thousand three hundred dollars! I do not have that much money. I mean, I just don’t! It’s days like this that I really miss the working in the city and not having a car. This really reminds me that while I love my job and think my boss rocks I really really hate the commute! So what am I going to do? I have no idea. Can you sell blood plasma in Illinois or is that just an Iowa thing?

¹Seriously. You have to have the flyer to get the open bar so do not forget to print it out!
²"Added extra" is redundant, isn’t it?
³Seriously, the dude is less well-spoken that Daley, and I didn’t believe that was possible!

No comments: