Friday, July 21, 2006

Music, music in the air; Music, music everywhere!

So it's the weekend, yet again. This week just flew by. I honestly don't know where all the time went as I look back on a slurry five day blur leading to the end of last weekend. This weekend looks set to be a mellow one, a calm before the storm as it were, before the one-two punch of Pitchfork Fest and Lollapalooza over the next two weekends. it's about frickin' time. Due to my grown-up schedule I have been suffering a serious deficiency in the "live-music experience" category.

Did I mention I, for the second year in a row, had totally resigned myself to skipping Lolla only to have a pass fall in my lap? I'm not going to make all three days but I am going to try and catch a couple bands over that weekend. The kicker is now that I can go, and I've looked over the schedule, I realize there really isn't a whole lot I feel the need to see? The Lips are playing Saturday -- the one day I definitely can not go -- and QOTSA are at the same time as Wilco on Sunday? WTF? Oh well, it's free, so I can't really complain. 

There also seem to be a ton of after-parties, which is a bit of a bummer. Now that Lolla's established everyone wants to get their name attached to it somehow thus diluting the caliber of after-show entertainment/dancing by stretching it too tautly over the city’s scene. Oh well, when your city is getting the number of great bands that we are this summer that seems like an awfully petty thing to be bitching about, huh? 

Anyway, let's kick off the weekend with a few tunes for you to download and enjoy as you see fit, shall we? First off we have the new single from Sloan. As always it's a poptastic little slice of joy. It's making me pretty hungry for their new album. And these pretzels are making me thirsty. Anyway. 

Following up is a little known (in the States) number by Teddybears STHLM titled "Hey Boy." One of their older tracks, an older gauzy slice of pop called "Yours To Keep," has been getting lots of attention lately, and rightfully so. However the tune below is off the group's 2005 disc Fresh! and it’s the polar opposite of "Yours To Keep." Stupid, silly fun.

And finally, we have a dumptruck slamming into the concrete from a 45-story drop version of "Lightning Strikes The Postman" by Aereogramme. This is the tune that had $in dancing all over The Pontiac before opening up a tank of pressurized air with his ass.
 
Sloan "Who Taught You To Live Like That?" [Download expired]
Teddybears STHLM "Hey Boy" [Download expired]
Aereogramme "Lightning Strikes The Postman" [Download expired]

And with that, I bid you adieu for the weekend.

No comments: