Friday, July 28, 2006

Set-list.

What a frickin' weekend I have ahead of me! Usually whenever Photogal leaves town I bitch and moan about the fact that nothing seems to be going on, but this weekend -- while she's out of town at a motorcycle rally/swap-meet -- there is almost too much going on!

Obviously there's the Pitchfork Music Festival (and my preview of Day One is here and Day Two is here.) Since I'm covering it that's going to keep me both Saturday and Sunday from 11am until 10pm or so. I'm really looking forward to the line-up but have a feeling I'll be a great deal more sober this year than last. Why? Because it's going to be frickin' HOT both days. I'm fair skinned so I have to be careful when I'm exposed to extreme heat for too long so I'll be sure to be constantly downing water in an effort to keep my body running at functional level. The downside is that booze will probably have to take a back seat until after sundown.

On the bright side that means I'll have no problem attending the aftershow parties, at least.

Tonight there are a whole bunch of options to consider as well. I was trying to get into the Ponys/Art Brut show at The Bottle, but my publicity contact for that seems to have gone awol and I don't want to show up only to find out that it's sold out.

However, Panic! is taking place at Darkroom tonight, and the early part of the evening will be devoted to the whole Madchester scene. There's no cover, and their previous set-lists seem pretty cool (even if they are a tad obvious) so that might be a really nice way to kick off the evening. Then there's Live Band Karaoke at The Pontiac, and since I rarely make it out to that anymore it should be a nice place to stop off for a drink or two. Finally, Rudy is spinning at Cobra. While I'm still not entirely sold on Cobra's vibe, since it seems a bit sporadic, the staff on Friday's is cool...and it's been a while since I've heard Rudy spin so I reckon I can't go wrong there. (Just found out Rudy has been ousted in favor of a guest DJ...that sucks.)

Late night? Maybe The Continental? Maybe home since I have to be up and reasonably alert relatively early Saturday morning? Maybe something completely different?

I, of course, lay all that out...but my plans have a tendency to change at the last minute if I'm left to my own devices. However, if you're coming in from out of town and are looking for something to, shoot me an email at tankboy (at) gmail (dot) com and I'll nail down at least part of the evening if you want to meet up.

Anywho, I guess that's that for today. I just want everyone to remember to stay safe, stay hydrated, and be nice to each other this weekend...and I hope you all have a blast; whatever you end up doing.

Oh yeah, one last thing. I was supposed to have a guest DJ from NYC with me at Liar's Club next Thursday but this person seems to have dropped off the face of the Earth and hasn't responded to confirm the date. So if any other band/industry-types are in town next week and are looking for somewhere to have a party with some friends and spin a few records/CDs/mp3s, send me an email. Okay, the NYC DJ may still be on...

Oh, heh. Almost forgot about this. An empeethree to kick off your weekend. When I hear this cover I can't figure out whether I'm supposed to laugh or cry.

Puffy AmiYumi "Basket Case"

The second photo is from the Panic! website...dunno to whom cred is due for that one. Sorry!

No comments: