Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Danger ... rock science!

So this post is a little different. It's actually being composed, not within Blogger, but within Writely. I've been itching to try out this online word processor for a while now, but just never had the time. Well, technically I still don't have the time, since I have to go to work and then a wake and then I'm off to DJ and (at the base of it all) these are actually the only spare moments I'll have to myself all day. But, hey, all the more reason to indulge myself, huh?

Tonight's DJ gig should prove interesting since my DJ partner is Menthol mainman (Bowie ref intentional there) Balthazar de Ley. Mr. de Ley and I have been crossing paths for going on twelve years or so here, now, dating all the way back to knowing the same Champaign / Normal crowd back in the day. I'm expecting a pretty wild mix (he's dubbed his set The French Connection, and I'm very excited to hear that name made manifest) so I would mark this down as a don't miss type of night. At the same time, it's supposed to storm like holy hell, so I recommend getting to The Pontiac early and grabbing some cheap shots of Maker's Mark early to avoid getting all rained on.

The lightning, however, will provide a most excellent backdrop for the evening.

__________

Talk about a super Tuesday!

New releases from The Killers, Beck, and The Decemberists hit the street today, and all three of those discs are worth owning, in my opinion. But if your funds are limited, and you can only afford one disc tomorrow, then I would pick up the new Hold Steady disc I've been raving about since August. Trust me, YOU CAN NOT GO WRONG with this disc. Plus, when it goes super crazy popular, and everyone and their sister is spinning it and raving about it and it's on constant rotation at The Gap you can say, "Remember when they just sounded like Bruce Sprinsgteen and weren't more popular than him, U2 and Christina Aguilera all put together? Huh? Huh? Do ya?"

Okay, maybe it won't get that out of control, but I do predict infectious goodness to make its way around the earworm substrata thus making the influence of Boys & Girls In America inescapable.

Craig Finn image courtesy Kathryn Yu

No comments: