Friday, October 27, 2006

Halloween = Christmas for grown-ups. Remember that.

First, meet the newest member of our wild animal kingdom in our menagerie / two-flat. It's Pickles the Cat!


Pickles is a big fan of my hair. And my ears. And scratches behind her ears. Photogal found her wandering in the middle of the street a few weeks ago and, after bouncing around a few friends' homes, we decided to take her in. The other animals are still adjusting, so we'll see how it goes. She's a little adorable ball o' fur though.

Anyway, as I'm sure you could guess from yesterday's enthusiastic post, I was out a little late last night so let's keep this short and sweet.

Let's revisit the idea of the Friday Five™, only this time I think I'll stick with bands most of you probably haven't really heard about. Our first selection is by The Oohlas, a band that really should be at the top of everyone's playlist. The tune of theirs I'm posting below, "TV Dinner," actually popped on tankPOD yesterday and at first I thought it was a that dog song I was unfamiliar with. If you caught that reference, then go buy the album now.

Second we have a track from a disc that's over a year old, but just came out in the States this week. It's by Whitey, and it's from his debut of, I don't know what you'd call it. Dancey wonk-rock? It's repetitive, catchy, and slightly decadent. Actually "Y.U.H.2.B.M.2" sort of reminds me of early Jesus and Mary Chain, come to think of it.

Third is a track from The Channels. You'll notice the tracks are getting more rocking, no? I just got this disc last week, had never heard of the band, and threw it in yesterday, and was pleasantly surprised. I should have known I would be since it came via my friend Julia, but you can never be sure. Anyway, the group sounds like a less halting, overly-sexed Shiner, though the track I've posted, "The Licensee," is actually a little lighter in tone than the rest of the disc. A little sweeter.

The next track is a golden oldie, given today's musical climate, coming from an album Voicst put out in 2004, but, again, it is only just now hitting our shores. The album is filled with revved-up, um, alterna-rock. This isn't based in any sort of fact, but I wouldn't be surprised if they listened to a lot of Ash. I've included "Upside" primarily to show that a disco beat just doesn't get tired if it's married to a kick-ass melody.

Finally, I'm totally breaking character by posting a track by Monty Are I. Now, some of you more astute readers will notice that Monty Are I is on Stolen Transmission, as is The Oohlas. It's coincidence, I promise. I picked up The Oohlas disc when it came out, and just got the Monty Are I disc this week, so there's no connection between the two. Don't believe me? Okay, how's this for proof that I'm not just shilling here:

I really don't like this Monty Are I disc.

Really don't like it. For the most part it's just so much faceless mall-punk disguised as emo. And that's okay. It's what the kids like. The album is just a cipher sitting there with no personality of its own.

With one exception.

I really like the track "O Brother." I know it's designed that way. I know the horns, and swelling chorus that breaks down into a synth-drenched marching cadence, and then into a choral soaked fade-out is SUPPOSED to tickle the pleasure centers. And I don't care if it's coldly calculated or not. I like it. And maybe you will to.

The Oohlas "TV Dinner"

Whitey "Y.U.H.2.B.M.2"

The Channels "The Licensee"

Voicst "Upside"

Monty Are I "O Brother"

Huh. So that was my verions of "short and sweet?" I'd hate to read "long and drawn out!"

Oh well. Have a safe Halloween weekend!

Ollie Oohla by Irene

Image of Whitey via their own damn self.


PRIVATE ASIDE TO THE PSEUDO-LESBIAN JAILBAIT DANCING ON THE SIDE OF THE STAGE DURING THE WHOLE EAGLES OF DEATH METAL SET LAST NIGHT: Nice pink hot pants (?!), although your sister / best friend looked less than comfortable with the whole "hands on the ass" thing. Plus? Camel toe. Sorry, dear. Ick. Double plus, glad to hear you made it on the bus. Yipes.

Thanks for living up to all the stereotypes of "the groupie." Double ick.

No comments: