Monday, February 19, 2007

Suspend your preconceptions.

Suspend your preconceptions.

From time to time I like to champion podcasts flying under the radar, but this week I think I want to mention one, that's already pretty popular amongst a certain segment of the population, that I have personally just discovered.

To begin with, anyone that hasn't caught the Battlestar Galactica bug is really, really missing out. I held out for the first two years, content with my cheesy memories of the original series while scoffing at the notion of allowing myself to get caught up in what was probably a modern sci-fi soap retread in the mold of the last few Star Trek franchises. (For the record, I never did really get into Star Trek.)

Well, now I'm kicking myself because each week Battlestar Galactica is the most consistently well-scripted and thought provoking hour on television. Don't let the space ships fool you as it definitely transcends the boundaries of simply being a "genre" show.

I have now discovered that the Battlestar Galactica crew also does a weekly podcast, structured as a commentary track to loosely fit each episode, that sheds even more light on what's going on while being a refreshingly frank self-critique of each episode. It's nice when the brain behind the show is candid enough to admit that some episodes have weak spots, or that certain characters and groups we meet were originally meant for more until the story started to shift organically and phased them out.

If you have to start on a single podcast though, and have been watching the show, I urge you to download The Battlestar Roundtable from late last year in which a number of the actors and creative minds behind the show get together, drink, and dish about the show and its creative process for three hours. (You can get it by doing the old left-click save-as here, or peruse it among this season's archives on the show's website.)

Also, I have discovered who one of the cyclons is that they haven't shown yet. Look ... it's a shocker!

No comments: