Monday, March 05, 2007

So that's what roller derby is!

So that's what roller derby is!

I've gotta admit, this whole time I thought the roller derby scene in Chicago was fun and I've supported it, but I also was under the impression it primarily consisted of tough girls who liked to party. I mean, honestly, that's the vibe they give off. But I think it sells them short.

After seeing a bout last night I walked away with a new found respect for the sport and the women that compete. I'm still not exactly sure how it's played, or exactly how points are scored, but I do know that as soon as that clock started ticking the floor was filled with athletes exhibiting definite mental strategy and physical skill. There is attitude on that track, but it's backed up with physical prowess and a respect for the game. That rules.

And the crowd? The place was packed with people that were REALLY into it. Folks really appreciated the effort put forth by the skaters and responded rather vocally. One dude got so into it he started a fight and the cops had to be called. Who knew the actual brawling would go on outside the track!

And Photogal did a great job DJing considering the minimal input she was given. As a matter of fact, that was the one sour note that sort of stuck in my craw about the night. Photogal didn't really get any feedback from the organizer. If I hadn't been there, roaming the floor, and sort of asking around, she would have gotten no feedback at all. It was a little weird to have her drive 40 minutes out there, not get paid, and not even get thanked for spinning. (Granted, she did screw up one of the intros, but that was primarily because of the minimal info she had to work on ... apparently she thought the national anthem would be sung before team intros ... ultimately though it WAS Photogal's mistake and she accepted responsibility.)

And when was the last time you heard musical chairs dictated by the Supersuckers version of "Hey Ya!" ... never?

So what did we learn last night? Roller derby girls don't just look cool, they work hard for their sport. Lynwood is way the heck out in the middle of nowhere, but the ride home is terrific if you've had a couple tall boys and you're the passenger (except for almost seeing that semi crush a car). And if one gets someone to donate their time as a DJ, one should let the DJ know its appreciated.

All in all, though, it was a pretty fun evening. If it was a little closer to the city I'd definitely go to another bout. Aw, heck, maybe I'll just swallow my distaste for Cobra and take the party bus to the next one on April 1 anyway.

No comments: