Thursday, May 10, 2007

Unexpected pleasures.

Unexpected pleasures.

I have no idea who Swati is. I can't find the one-sheet that came with her disc, and to be honest her album isn't even really good enough for me to search her out online and read her bio (although you'll notice I did at least Google up the link for you if you wish to do so). She hews a little too closely to the Ani DiFranco style of songwriting, and while i do enjoy me some Ani, I don't really enjoy it when people that aren't Ani try to write Ani DiFranco songs.

However there is one track on Swati's disc, Small Gods, that did sort of grab me. I offer you this as proof that, no matter what, I do listen to every CD that's sent to me, all the way through. If someone's going to pay postage to send me something, the least I can do is show the respect of listening to the music within, right? Well, there's that, but there's also the chance that a true little gem will be nestled amongst a mostly mediocre tracklist.

And that's the case with Swati's "2 O'Clock In The A.M." It's a mournful little tale that's differentiated from all the other late night laments by this slightly sweet edge to Swati's vocals. The truth is that the song doesn't say much lyrically, but it speaks emotional volumes sonically.

MP3: Swati "2 O'Clock In The A.M."

No comments: