Friday, July 06, 2007

Jon Brion at Hideout ... now everyone can enjoy the show!

Jon Brion at Hideout ... now everyone can enjoy the show!

Remember when I saw Jon Brion play at Hideout a few months ago? I ranted and raved about it to friends for quite a while afterwards, and the phrase that kept popping up in my description was, "I really wish you could've been there, or at least heard it!" Well, for folks that didn't score tickets to see him in the very cozy confines of Hideout, a recording of the show has finally surfaced. I was only there for the first half of the evening or so, since I had to cover another band playing across town that night, but listening to this recording I really wish I had stuck around all night.

To truly understand what a marvel it was to see Jon Brion live, download the set, and cue up the ten-minute version of The Girl I Knew." Listen to it, but visual Brion playing all of the instruments. You can hear him build the track playing drums, looping that and then moving on to piano, looping that, and moving onto bass, and so on. And when all that noise is galloping through your ears realize that in the end there is just a single man standing stage center, attacking his guitar and riding the wave of a wall of music he built brick by brick -- live and in front of us -- all by himself.

Fucking mind boggling.

M4A: John Brion live at Hideout March 11, 2007

Jon Brion photo by Jennifer Brandel

No comments: