Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Why did this take so long to hit my radar?

Why did this take so long to hit my radar?

Does anyone besides me remember Wolcott? More people probably see their old bass player Ben in a totally different light than I do. I always loved watching he and his huge 'fro of hair wobbling alongside lead singer Ryan. That band had so much energy, with the only downside being that you HAD to see them live to get it. Their single album just doesn't do the group justice.

Well, a bunch of guys that used to be in Wolcott teamed up with ex-40 Piece Choir folks, re-jiggered the set-up (for instance, Ryan is behind the kit instead of singing ... something that seems eerily familiar), and names themselves The Quilts. They play a mix of Americana and stadium rock, which makes total sense considering the roots of the group's various members. Coe to think of it, they kind of sound like what I thought the 1900s were going to sound like, based on their press. Anyway, The Quilts are playing Double Door next month, and i think I'll just have to make it out to see what they're like live. This track should be enough to whet you're appetitive too ... especially from the 1:36 point onward.

MP3:
The Quilts "4th of July"

No comments: