Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Trust me, I WANNA drink the Kool-Aid, I just can't, yet.

Trust me, I WANNA drink the Kool-Aid, I just can't, yet.

I wanna root for Obama. I want to believe he could actually change shit in Washington. The hard truth, though, is he's really just not the best person for the job. Not yet, at least. Unfortunately, and I only say that because of all the "electability" issues it raises, the best person on the Dems side is a woman*, and the best person on the Repub's side is a war hero. And while neither are particularly likable, both have displayed the ability to work between parties, and thoughtfully work through issues that come their way. But unfortunately, that no longer seems to be the way we choose candidates anymore, huh? Actually, was that ever the way?

I do think Obama's awesome. I love the fact that he speaks intelligently, and passionately, and rejects dumbing down his message to 20-second soundbites. I'm just not 100% sure that passion is a good substitute for experience. But hey, we'll see ... my mind isn't made up yet. Maybe, if i get thirsty enough, I might just have to reach for that glass of Kool-Aid.

*Sorry, Kev, I just can't buy into the Edwards thing even though I know you love the fact he loves the unions.

No comments: