Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Mystery Jets come of age.

Mystery Jets come of age.

Not much to say now, but I'm listening to the new Mystery Jets album Twenty One right now and -- so far -- it's delivering the goods I had hoped for! I've had the luxury of hearing them progress from close to the very beginning since Karen was kind enough to send me an early version of their debut (which, by the way, changed substantially before its UK, and then belated American, release).

I've loved the band's output, but always felt it was missing that one extra little magical ingredient to launch them from being great to truly terrific. When I saw them play live a few months ago that extra spark manifested itself in spades and I realized that not only were they gonna catch up to their hype, they were bound to surpass it.

They've lost a bit of the '67 Pink Floyd freneticism that drew me to them in the first place, but they've replaced it with an alarmingly mature grasp of rhythm and dynamics. They've launched past my sonic expectations and delivered a (proper) sophomore album that sounds like it was crafted with a band with decades of experience instead of the handful of years the Mystery jets have actually been active.

No comments: