Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Urban farming.

Urban farming.

There's a rooster in my neighborhood. For a while I had no idea where he lived. Then, about a week ago, I could hear his rooster call, about every three minutes, and I could swear it sounded like he was getting closer and closer. At one point we all sat cowering on my couch, convinced the flightless fowl was ascending my rear stairway, eyes filled with birdie vengeance, hell-bent on taking some human, any human out.

That particular scenario never really came to fruition, but a few days later I was walking Betty through our alley when I heard the rooster so loudly I half-expected to turn around and look him in the eye. In fact, the cry was coming from the yard next to mine so I climbed up part of the fence and peeped over to discover not only a rooster, but a single chicken pecking away at the dirt in the backyard!

So I have a chicken and a rooster for neighbors. I really wasn't expecting that.

It should be noted that both birds seem to be doing well, and no one is using them for any arcane blood rituals. In fact, I kind of like having them as neighbors ... keeps away the bad elements like leather jacketed pigeons, and mohawked seagulls and the like.

No comments: