Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Dandy Warhols Still Rule O.K.

Dandy Warhols Still Rule O.K.


O.K., the title is a bit misleading. I love the Dandy Warhols -- even though I refuse to admit the existence of Odditorium -- and have bought just about everything they've ever put out right down to the self-released Black Album/Come On Feel The Dandy Warhols package. I've easily spent hundred of dollars collecting import singles for unreleased tracks and remixes. But that was back in the days when that was the only way to get those tunes ... now I wold just pay 99 cents for the song I didn't have and save the other nine bucks.

So I was excited to hear the band was releasing it's latest, ...Earth to The Dandy Warhols..., under a remarkably forward-thinking subscription model. For a set price you would get the album as an immediate download, a physical CD once it was released, a screen printed poster, and any b-sides released in the next year. That is all pretty cool, right? The only problem is that they want $34.99 a year for the whole package. For me, that's pretty steep, even when you include a healthy mark-up for materials and postage, though I'm sure plenty of folks would be more than happy to pay that. Good for them.

What I think would have been a better solution would be to offer the disc and music subscription for something closer to $15-$20, even allowing a lower tier for folks that wanted to go digital only. What do you think, am I being to stingy or am I right in thinking the band might have been better off offering a variety of packages to their fans?

Either way, I'm pleased to see them making a go of it without a Major label, and commend them for at least trying something new, even if it is out of my price range for disposable income these days.*

*Due to a certain added expense, I have to be very thoughtful of where I spend my American dollars these days.

No comments: