Monday, November 17, 2008

Weekend desk report!

Weekend desk report!

It was a good weekend.
  • Betty the Beagle became a subject of fine art thanks to Lauri Apple's "Hipster Animals" series. She will gladly paint your/your friends' animals as hipsters for a reasonable sum. Also, if you can think of a catchy saying to along with Betty's image on a T-shirt let me know!
  • Ran into unexpected visitors from a town down South and enjoyed spending time with them, although I think they were initially worried I might be annoyed due to the company they were keeping ... which couldn't have been further from the truth.
  • The Lauren / Dawn / Jenny Evil birthday party was an unequivocal success, even if I did spend a portion of the evening wandering around shirtless in Keep's sweater vest while he wore my leather. Don't ask.
  • Saw Tom Schraeder turn in an excellent set ... I'm beginning to think he might actually catch on with the larger public!
  • Slept until 4 p.m. yesterday (!) and then spent the evening drinking wine and watching movies with GalPal. Learned two things: 1. Realized I am no longer as similar -- in the pathetic sense at least -- to the character of Rob In High Fidelity. 2. Just because a movie looks like it has a Flight of the Conchords vibe, that doesn't mean it's any good. In other words, avoid Eagle Versus Shark at all costs!
  • Worked out a deal with GalPal ... she'll watch The Spirit and Watchmen with me if I agree to see The Transporter 3 and another movie of her choice with her. Despite her picking out Eagle Versus Shark, I agreed.
  • Discovered Treat, this tiny little restaurant around the corner from my place, has FANTASTIC food. Even a picky eater like me was pretty blown away. Highly recommended.
  • An extremely old friend I lost track of over a decade ago contacted me through Facebook, reminding me why I love that particular social networking site. It also reinforced my desire to keep that account "friends only" and keep away from bands or people I don't directly know or engage with.
The only down moment of the weekend?
  • Bought Betty an anti-bark collar Saturday and got an email from the building's management company Sunday that unless things changed Betty would have to go. Hopefully this collar solves our problems. I gave it a trial run before leaving her alone today and it seems to do the trick.I am a bit worried though, since folks complaining are saying she barks for 12+ hours and that's just not possible since I don't leave her unattended that long. I understand people's frustration but wish they'd contact me so I can both personally apologize and outline what we're doing to try and solve the problem.

No comments: