Friday, December 19, 2008

Couch Surfing with Friendly Foes!

Couch Surfing with Friendly Foes!

I just realized RCRD LBL was hosting an MP3 of Friendly Foes' excellent "Couch Surfing." It has been a steady regular in my recent DJ sets ao get it now and marvel at its wonders! I've already raved about their debut disc (out now digitally and next month physically) and am seriously considering putting them on my best of list for this year. Or do I hold off and see if they make the cut next year? Since I count Radiohead's In Rainbows and MGMT's Oracular Spectacular as 2007 releases I'm leaning towards the former.

But I am too wordy about a group who treats brevity so professionally. Why are they sticking in my sonic craw so firmly? It's because Friendly Foes is a SUPERgroup i.e. they remind me of a cross between Superdrag, Supergrass, and Superchunk. They are the perfect vicious indie-pop Minneapolis-based band of 1986 / 1996 ... that didn't form until 2006 ... in Detroit.

I am excited for the places this band is going to go.

DOWNLOAD: Friendly Foes "Couch Surfing"

Photo from the band's MySpace by Jerry Wald

No comments: