Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Will I be able to survive an actual vacation?

Will I be able to survive an actual vacation?

GalPal and I have a trip to Cancun coming up. I can't wait. I've never taken a vacation where I paid for everything up front and it's one of those all-inclusive deals, thus ensuring I can just enjoy myself and not worry about coming home to a big debt for good times I've already had. On the flip side I'm a little afraid it will be something supposedly fun I'll never do again. Aimless leisure and endless pampering actually seem a little frightening to me, but as even a casual reader of this site has probably figured out, I am a man on the go -- often ridiculously so -- and for the first time in my life I think I need to unplug and take a break, even if it's just for a few days.

Of course all that time spent outside by the pool or on the beach means I'll be shirtless which also means a) aircraft will need to be diverted in order to avoid the blinding glare bouncing off my chest and into the sky and b) I need to lose a few pounds so I don't look utterly ridiculous. I'm by no means overweight, but I have slid into the trap of slipping in more sweets that are necessary into my daily diet over the last few months, so I'm pulling them back out to regain equilibrium.

So what do think? Will I be able to enjoy myself? Or will I be going stir crazy and driven mad by the cheesy resort nightlife entertainment by midnight our first day there? And also, any advice from folks that have done these all inclusive deals before? We were told not to tip but that seems ludicrous. I'm a pretty generous tipper though so I need to know what's actually appropriate down there? And who do we tip? When?

This is gonna be weird, but I think it might also be awesome.

No comments: