We're back! Actually we got back Saturday but spent all day Sunday recovering from a horrific return travel experience. Just the thing to cap off a relaxing vacation! Anyway, I thought I'd share a few things I learned over the past week.
- Jamaican actually do say "Ya mon!" and "Irie!" Anybody from Jamaican should not say either because you will end up sounding very silly.
- Bob Marley, and a dizzying array of Bob Marley covers in a multitude of musical genres, are played everywhere there are tourists. I suspect this is more for the benefit of the tourists than the residents. Sadly, we heard no Jimmy Cliff ... what's up with that?!
- The beach in Montego Bay is awesome. And the views we had of the mountains surrounding the bay were just eye-poppingly lovely.
- People told us to expect barrel loads of pot tempting us from every direction, I'm guessing this is one reason we went through two very thorough security checkpoints at the Montego Bay airport on our way out, but we didn't see (or even smell) so much as a single joint the whole time we were there.
- When flying, you get what you pay for. We flew an Ultra Low Cost Carrier airline and while travel to Jamaica was OK the experience of getting home was a nightmare featuring breakdowns on every level of the airline's system. Next time we're spending the couple extra hundred to fly a more dependable airline.
- Vacations never last long enough. One more day in Montego Bay would have really hit the spot, but overall it was a wonderful trip.