Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Gorging on books.


It's interesting, usually when I've had free time in the (more recent) past I spent it devouring TV series or movies or catching up on things living inside my television set. This summer, though, I've found I've returned to older habits and carry around multiple books I'm reading at the same time. Novels, non-fiction, graphic novels, artist histories, short story collections; I'm reading them all. And it feels really good. It's definitely invigorating and I've rediscovered the joy in actively engaging with the written word that isn't mine. I now realize I always felt so pressed for time I was denying myself of what, for me, is a very basic and deep need.

Remember when you were a kid and you'd join a summer book club at your local library and then write every book you read down in a little booklet? When I did that I endeavored to fill that little booklet quickly so I could get another. And another. And another. All I wanted to do was read. I feel like I'm in that summer reading club again. And now I remember why I loved it so much. As Superman draws his power from the sun so do I draw my power from my brain and right now it's being well fed. And that feels terrific.

No comments: