Thursday, August 15, 2013

On (my) writing.

My editor at work.**
I write pretty quickly. I didn't realize this until Gal Pal commented on it while I was enjoying the Summer of Tankboy™ and she was on vacation from work one day and witnessed me as I sat down to write a review. "Do you really just sit down and start writing?" she said, "I usually have to organize what I'm going to say before I say it."

I do organize what I'm going to say, but it's usually all in my head up until the time I actually start writing, so it just pours out of me. Even if I haven't done it consciously, my brain has already connected with my subconscious to hammer out at least the outline of what I'm going to write. And then it just comes out.

Am I lucky? Am I just wired that way? After so many years is it just so much personal training and rigor that it's just become second nature?* Was I just born to write? Am I in a constant state of synthesis that's converting stimuli into a waiting pool of reserve copy? Who knows?

I'm not going to complain about it.

* It ain't that one. I've always written rather quickly.

** The results of Pickle the Kitten's edits to my work. A deft hand indeed.

No comments: