Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Betcha didn't know just how indie Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles really were, eh?


In the early '80s I was working in a comic book shop (underage labor FTW and holy shit they're still open!) when the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comics came out  and I always wish I'd had enough money to buy those early issues. While they became a bit of a pop culture joke it's hard to convey a) just how cool they originally were and b) how they basically created the indie comic book market. Man, I'm pretty sure I have sketchbooks of my drawings trying to rip off the style of Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird, which itself was totally biting the style of Frank Miller. I also remember videotaping the original cartoon series because I and every other comic nerd I knew were so stoked that something so subversive had made it onto TV. And then sat slack jawed as we realized just how lame they had been made to appeal to the mainstream. Oh well.

I was reminded of all this after this nifty little mini-history of the whole TMNT phenomenon that Vulture put together.


Will the new Micahel Bay movie be any good? My guess is it'll be his finest work yet, becasue it can't be that hard to top crap like Transformer and Armageddon (though I am NOT happy that April isn't in a yellow jumpsuit)!

No comments: