Thursday, November 03, 2016

Cubs win! Cubs win?!

The Cubs know who's boss.
Wow. Wow. Wow.

I wrote something about the Cubs last year and it still holds true, only now the fans' story has a happy ending!

And here's something I wrote about the team in 2003, right after randomly happening to attend a game where they clinched a divisional title.

Random notes:

  • Usually I bristle at fans who say "we won" or "we did it" since IMHO it's the athlete's that "did" it. In the case of the Cubs I think the fans have 100% earned the right to say "we did it" given the century plus of suffering the team has put its hardcore fans through.
  • My posts i link to above both mention the same fear: winning the World Series wold fundamentally change what made the Cubs special. I hope I'm sincerely hope I'm wrong about that.
  • That final game was some amazing baseball, and filled with the appropriate amount of drama to mark such a landmark accomplishment.
  • I'm not gonna say who it was, but I may or may not be related to a lifelong Cardinals fan who I actually caught rooting out loud for the Cubs to win during Game 7.
  • Two things I thought would never ever happen actually happened—the Cubs won the World Series and I was sober for the whole thing.
  • It's a really good time to be in Chicago right now.

No comments: