Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Monumental and gargantuan.

You’re faced with what feels like a million decisions all at once, and no answer feels right because this is YOUR FUTURE you’re deciding on. Everything from changing locks to replacing floors to tearing out a ceiling to discover that the weird covering is actually glued to the plaster beneath and there is a hundred years of black dust raining down on you as you make the discovery.

Through all of this I’m been super busy at the 9-to-5 due to a really cool project that’s launching very soon (that I can’t wait to turn you on to!) which is totally doable, but at the same time, Mich’s office is also in the midst of a huge project she’s heavily involved in, so our time is spread pretty thin. Amazingly, she is somehow managing to do all her office work and wrangle the many, many contractors coming through with estimates and doing work.

I don’t know how she does it. It’s impressive.

Next week will be interesting—I’m taking most of the week off to finish packing and preparing the new place for our move. Schedules are tight, but luckily I booked this time a while ago.* I know, not much of a vacation, but it’ll be nice to have a couple additional free days to take care of all of this stuff. I hate moving. Hate it, hate it. I’m, a middle-aged man who has managed to accumulate a lot of stuff over the years, so packing is just so, so painful.** And then there’s figuring out where everything will go in the new place, and…

Ugh.

But aside from that “ugh” and the insanity and the stress and all the other fun stuff that goes along with being a homeowner, there is also this: awe. I am still in shock that the beautiful house with the gorgeous little yard I’ve been wandering around periodically over the last few days is ours. Ours, ours, OURS! And for all the headaches owning property is raining down on both me and Mich, it’s still a thrilling feeling.

To create our home.

*In my line of work, I always feel like there is never a good time to take any vacation time. I don’t know if that’s just my overwhelming guilt at actually using time off I have coming to me, or it’s just the speed and non-stop momentum of the career I picked. Probably a little of both. But I am jealous of people in my industry who seem to be able to take vacation time and just unplug, figuring everyone else can handle whatever comes up in their absence. How do you do that? I want to learn!

**Not to mention, boy are the cats in for a surprise!

No comments: