Wednesday, October 04, 2017

How much new music did I listen to in September 2017? Let's find out!

On my way to Riot Fest a few weeks ago...
2017 is really shaping up to be a pretty mediocre year, musically. At least based on my personal rating system and the hundreds of albums I’ve listened to thus far. Don't get me wrong, there has been a LOT to like. I'm not hurting for enjoyable tunes. There's just precious little that has been GREAT.

On one hand, it’s a great time to be a sentimental 30- or 40-something, since the indie guitar rock of the late ‘80s and ‘90s has made a roaring comeback. But that ain’t exactly new or groundbreaking, no matter how much it is a direct hit on my pleasure centers.

Pop and hip-hop are dominant, which in no way bugs me, but neither is doing anything new. In fact, due to the Soundcloud and Spotify nation, I’d argue much of this stuff is more disposable since it is literally built without longevity in mind. So as far as snapshots of a moment, this is great! But it evaporates almost instantaneously upon landing.

I have a feeling the above grafs will end up forming the backbone of my year-end piece, so don’t be surprised if you get a sense of déjà vu come December. Anyway, here’s how September shaped up!

As always, here’s a guide to my rating system.

Total number of new/upcoming releases listened to in September 2017: 44

Number of those releases that rated 7-10: 2

Number of those releases that rated 4-6: 31

Number of those releases that rated 1-3: 11

Highest rated album: The National’s Sleep Well Beast. Believe me, no one is more surprised than me. I suspect that the new Foo Fighters album will edge up a point or two by year’s end, which would give it the win for September. But as of now it’s the NYC crew by way of Ohio.

New band I’d never heard of that caught me off guard: Deep State! For so many reasons, I think they actually won September.

Most surprising discovery: Tub Ring has a new album! Who knew they were even still together?! I remember booking them waaaaaay back when. If you need your Faith No More / Mr. Bungle / accessible Mike Patton itch scratched, then grab this album.

No comments: