Monday, March 12, 2012

A super brief reflection on SXSW.

You know, you can hate on it all you want. It's basically spring break for adults and as an adult who could use a break I see nothing wrong with that. Last year I had the opportunity to go and skipped it because, well, it was just too flippin' big and I thought it would be a waste of time. Now I realize my error in thinking that way lay in the fact that, outside film, nothing gets accomplished at SXSW. And you shouldn't expect it to be. Times are different and a single yearly conference no longer really matters in the actual day to day functions of the music and tech biz. What it does do is give folks a chance to actually see each other in person and network and, yes, party their flippin' asses off. I used to think that was stupid, but it's only because I was stuck thinking of the festival as it functioned in the past, not as it does now.

That said, and this is despite this year's organizers being more than generous by giving me a nice shiny badge, I'm skipping SXSW. The truth is that the last few months have been insanely busy for me, and months ago I carved out this time for a vacation to head to Austin. Now that the time has arrived I realize that I actually need some time to myself where I don't party with no sleep for five days straight but instead veg out, unplug and do nothing for a couple days. So that's what I'm doing.

So, sadly, I'm missing the party down in Austin this year, but for the first time in over a decade it's not because I'm disillusioned by SXSW this year; I just need some actual rest!

But, man, I was really looking forward to some good brisket. Next year?

1 comment:

Bill V said...

Well put. It's always a great time, especially if you can find a way to hook up with friends. Certainly not a place I go to get any rest!