Friday, March 02, 2018

Flood! Part four!

So my basement has been torn apart, but at least all the flood damage has been taken care of and anything that could mold or cause further damage has been torn out. Insurance is all lined up to help me out, so that's good too.

The last week and a half has been challenging. There were times where I thought I was just gonna lose it. But the thing about an event like this is that you come out on the other end realizing, "I handled this." And it fills you with both confidence and balance. And that's a good feeling.

I had help, to be sure. Photogal has been great support through the whole thing, and was there to keep me moving forward when I thought everything was just too overwhelming. But for the most part I had to handle everything myself. I didn't ask for this, but there was no way around it, so I just soldiered on.

I'm in my mid-40s and adulting is still hard. I don't think it actually gets easier at any time, but you do build up the skill sets to deal with disaster after disaster. Because if there's one thing you can count on in life, it's that there is gonna be another disaster.

But hey! I made it! My basement's in a shambles but it will be rebuilt. The hardest work is behind me. And for at least the next couple of days I will be lulled gently to sleep by a dozen fans and industrial dehumidifiers humming away in the background.

No comments: