Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Get caught up in Ten Million Lights' "Red Tornado."


I can't remember how I stumbled across Saturna. It was probably when I got their excellent single "Pop Rocks" off one of Largehearted Boy's daily downloads a decade plus ago. Unbeknownst to me, one of the band members was regular Tankboy reader and alerted me when a couple folks from Saturna had started a new project called Ten Million Lights. Their  music was a little more on the dreamy shoegaze side, while Saturna was a little more rocking, but I dug both projects.

Ten Million Lights released their self-titled debut in 2010 ... and then didn't do anything else. Until this year when they released a new single and EP. That I completely missed, until Ryan from the band emailed me yesterday with another new single they're releasing ahead of their sophomore effort, Sour Oranges, out next month.

All this build up is to say, it sure took you folks long enough to put out a second album! Talk about taking your time.

Ten Million Lights have changed their sound a bit, adding more straightforward hard rocking and chugging guitars to the dreamier elements of their earlier music, with a dash of the poppier muscles they flexed in the Saturna days. If "Red Tornado" is indicative of this slightly new direction then Sour Oranges will probably find a welcome place in my music collection.

Check it out for yourself and let me know if you agree.

As a matter of fact, if you live in Portland, you can go to the band's record release show at The Fixin' To this Saturday, March 24. If you do, let me know how the rest of the album sounds!

No comments: