Tuesday, August 16, 2011

So what do we do now?

Lord knows I don't want to say this out loud, but summer's drawing to a close when it finally felt like it was just starting to really rev up. Granted, for me the period between Pitchfork Music Festival and Lollapalooza is always a hectic one and once those are past I have to intentionally lay on the brakes to keep from skidding into fall suffering from complete exhaustion. This causes an internal conflict; part of me wants to keep up the freewheelin' summer lifestyle of tons of rock and/or roll shows, weekend day-drinking and general insanity and part of me realizes that the people I surround myself with are getting older and maybe I am too so I should lay off.

I went to dinner with some friends the other night and afterward GalPal and I were talking and we realized we barely actually just hang out with our friends any more. We see them at shows and in passing but in fact the two of us operate kind of as a solitary team. It wasn't always that way, but I think when you have a couple that writes about music and goes out a LOT this sort of situation has a tendency to happen. So we decided that since summer is quieting down and our schedule is a little bit more in our control this would be a good time to try and reconnect with people. Or at least try. I've always been kind of solitary (despite being so incredibly social) so it takes a little more effort on my part but when we started dating GalPal was the queen of dinners and drinks and museum visits and picnics and all that food stuff with all of her (and eventually our) friends. I want to get back into that lifestyle and connect with folks in increments of more than three to five minute conversations.

What about you? Which camp do you fall into?

No comments: