Saturday, September 11, 2021

20 years ago today.

There are three flashes of memory with images so clear and feelings so overwhelming that they haven't faded in 20 years. 
  1. Groggily picking up the phone after its ringing woke me up to hear my roommate's boyfriend worriedly asking if she'd left for work yet. I answered yes and was clearly confused by how upset he sounded until he finally said, "Oh god. You don't know. Turn on the TV right now." 
  2. Frantically biking under a bright blue sky in perfect weather, hunched over my handlebars to make myself as small a target as possible, terrified that an airplane would drop form the sky or explosions would go off or people would be shooting in the streets as I hurried to Photogal's condo. Early on we were all still terrified there would be more attacks taking other forms in other cities throughout the day. 
  3. Sitting in a parking lot that afternoon and waiting to give blood at a donation center because we felt we had to do something.

No comments: