Friday, May 30, 2003

Times are tough all over I suppose.

It seems as if David Bowie’s revolutionary Bowie Bonds aren’t faring so well.

Point A: I am a huge David Bowie fan.
Point B: I’m not exactly crying about the Bowie Bond situation.

I mean I’ve been more than slightly annoyed at the constant reissues and repackaging that have come in the wake of the Bowie Bonds in an effort to maintain their value and protect Bowie from losing any money should his back catalog not perform quite as promised. In the early ‘90s Rykodisc did a fabulous job of reissuing Bowie’s whole catalog and all the Virgin stuff that has been flooding the market over the past few years pales in comparison. Add into that the numerous greatest hits and ambient collections of previously released material and even the most stalwart fan is gonna get a little peeved. (They did make a good move by releasing the BBC stuff though; I’ll give that to the man.)

I guess I’m saying that maybe the music industry isn’t to blame for this one – since the article claims that overall slumping sales are fueling the possible bond rating downgrade – but instead it’s an over saturation of the marketplace that should be blamed on the source itself, Mr. Bowie.

Oh well, I’m still a huge fan.

No comments: