Tuesday, November 11, 2003

A "timely" read.

It's been a while since a book completely hit me from left field but The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger has completely sucked me in. The story's structure is completely non-linear yet the whole thing makes sense and the characters are so well developed it's astonishing. It's been a long time since I read a piece of contemporary fiction that felt so human while occupying an outlandish situation.

Don't be afraid of the title as this is no work of science fiction. It is first and foremost a love story -- can you imagine me actually recommending a love story (?!) -- and is also that rare example of a completely accessible novel that also challenges without being noticeably difficult. In other words this is one sublime journey everyone would be happy to undertake. Run, no walking please, to you nearest bookstore or library and pick this up.

I tend to be a bit of a literary snob but I really feel this is something everyone can enjoy. Even if it does come also recommended by The Today Show.

DISCLAIMER: I haven't actually finished the book yet but feel so strongly about it that even if the ending ends up being lame the journey of reading the primary story is well worth the time.

No comments: