Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Lollapalooza 2015 ... initial thoughts.

Mich and I last year—star crossed Lolla lovers.
The Lollapalooza line-up was announced this morning and you can get my 30,000 foot initial take on Chicagoist. The headliners are mostly uninspiring but the rest of the bill is filled with unfamiliar names which means I'm either a) going to stumble across a bunch of great new bands or b) record companies have infiltrated the booking ranks and stocked the fest with crap.

So back to the headliners. More specifically one of the headliners. Metallica. And this isn't an indictment of Metallica, and I actually think it's genius to place them opposite Sam Smith, but the personal irony here is that Metallica was the headliner back when I decided to stop going to the original Lollapalooza since the bill under them marked the fest's complete departure from it's "alternative" roots into the lunkheaded mainstream of the time. Which isn't to say I didn't like Metallica; it was the bill as a whole that I found lacking back then. So there's a personal rib tickle going on here, not that I've entertained any notion that Lolla was going to ever go back to "edgy" territory.

So back to that undercard. I am hopeful that the listed bands will reveal hidden gems. Though I can understand if this viewpoint isn't perhaps shared by the general public. In fact I think this tweet makes an excellent point, probably not immediately evident to folks like me that are always in search of new discoveries and don't have to pay exorbitant ticket prices to do so.
What do you think?

No comments: