Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Elf Power just keeps trucking along, god bless ‘em.

Elf Power, photo by Sandra Rek
Elf Power, the Elephant 6 affiliated ensemble, has been going strong for over two decades, and while I haven’t really kept tabs on them as much in recent years I did finally get a chance to listen to their just-released Twitching In Time LP.

And it was an unexpected delight. Terrific.

The band’s gentle ‘60s pop is still rubbing shoulders with the lighter of psychedelic shrouds on the new material. Something about it just sounds heftier and more present this time around. I found myself listening to it as background music only to find that whatever task it was soundtracking had moved to the background instead as the music moved its way to the center of my attention.

Unfortunately the band only played a teensy number of tour dates to support the album, so there’s no way for me to see how this stuff translates live. I’ll just have to let my imagination keep running free.

UPDATE: They just posted a bunch of new dates since the original email I was pulling that tour information from!* They play Beat Kitchen in Chicago on July 18!

Naturally, the band decided to release a video for the album’s least accessible tune, "Watery Shreds," and has no music streaming on the Soundclouds or Bandcamps. Accessible or not, it’s still a fine song, though not super indicative of what you can expect from the majority of the new album.



*Good thing I double-checked before hitting publish!

No comments: