Wednesday, February 09, 2022

Beach House does the nigh impossible—they've made me a fan of their music.

Photo by David Belisle
I have seen Beach House quite a few times over the years and always kept up with their albums, primarily out of a sense of needing to keep up with music popular with my readership at the time. But I've always found them incredibly boring, and slotted them into the "vibes for days with little else to offer" category.

So imagine my surprise as I listened to most of their new double album Once Twice Melody (13 of the 18 tracks are already available) and ... I found myself going back for a second, then third listen!

What changed? I'm not certain, but I do know that for me the empty spaces that used to exist between the notes of music are now filled with emotion, that weird intangible addition of what feels like true feeling versus the calm and reassuring if somewhat vacuous sounds of their previous work. Heck, maybe I've changed and am just hearing the same thing everyone else always did! 

Either way, it's lovely stuff that drew me in, And I'm looking forward to hearing the final "chapter" of music when the full album is released on February 18!

No comments: