Wednesday, February 16, 2022

The critic as cockroach. And I mean that in a good way!

It's February 16 and this year I've already listened to and logged 101 albums coming out in 2022.

Just in case you were worried I was slacking or anything.

Album 100 was a lovely bit of super old school reggae and ska. Album 101? It started as a melodic slice of instrumental metal but turned into a subpar goth album that thought it rocked. You can't win 'em all.

And with that, you're caught up to where I am!

"Why do you still listen to so much music, with so little actually going on in the music world for the last few years?"

Fair question, and one I've asked over and over of myself. The answer always seems to be "because it's what I do."

I was on a panel with a bunch of other music critics years and years ago, and they asked what I would do if I lost the outlet I was writing for (at the time that would've been Chicagoist). My answer was I'd just keep listening and keep writing. I think I also said, "I'm like a cockroach, even a nuclear bomb wouldn't stop me from being a music critic."

Well, thank god there's been no nuclear bomb, but after the combined events of the last 4 years I think it's fair to say I definitely wasn't lying about my internal drive.

Oh, hey! Here comes album 102...

No comments: