Tuesday, August 11, 2026

A quick jam from deep in the vaults of Big Angry Fish.


A few weeks ago I saw Chicago’s Big Angry Fish as they performed at their now-annual Big Angry Fish Fry at The Montrose Saloon. The band’s history stretches back to the ‘90s and when they get back onstage to play these days, their sets bounce with youthful energy instead of old man sentimentality. 

One song they played this year that I was less familiar with was “Serves You Right,” and I found myself humming its melody long after the show was over. Yet I didn’t remember hearing on any of the band’s earlier CDs, though with some in storage, I couldn’t be sure. But some poking around revealed that it probably hadn’t been on any “official”releases back in the day, but it did appear on a pay-what-you-want Bandcamp compilation members of the group put out in 2018 to clear house of some odds and ends … including “Serves You Right!” I whooped with joy at its discovery!

Give it a play and I predict you’ll be bopping along to it, same as me.

No comments: