Friday, January 02, 2004

World Idol.

Okay, it's no big secret that I watch American Idol and think it's an entertaining hoot. Obviously I had to watch the World idol thingie they just did over the past week to see what other countries were choosing as winners before they crowned Kelly Clarkson World Idol since she was a shoo-in.

Apparently she wasn't!

In an upset I sure didn't see coming some little Hobbit-looking dude with a really big voice from Belgium (I think it was Belgium) won! Clarkson was in shock and presenters Ant and Dec seemed a tad cheerier when the tide so decisively turned.

I was thinking to myself and wondering if the result was a response to American foreign policy? Maybe. We certainly aren't particularly popular since the Cowboy is in the White House, but I think it's more important to remember that just because it's popular in America don't make it universally appealing. Hell, third place was held by some metal dude who covered "Smells Like Teen Spirit!" We may steer trends and influence but we sure as hell don't have the final word, right?

Hmmm...it's late. I'm gonna go watch some more TV.

No comments: