Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Resurrect summer vibes with WATERS.

WATERS, photo by Cara Robbins
Wow, I really sat on this one. You see, since I have long lists of albums to listen to, I often spin the ones that seem like they might be more "difficult" and save the ones that sound like they'll just be pure fun to take in until later. What this means is that ofttimes albums keep getting pushed further and further back in the line. It's kind of like when you know the bartender but you tend to get passed over for newer customers because they're trying to get them out of the way so they can spend quality time with you. But what actually happens is you end up waiting forever to get a drink.

Such was the case with the WATERS album Something More!, that came out in ... May?! What was I thinking?! Because it's so much fun, and would've made the perfect summer soundtrack for me. But of course, instead, here I am on a dreary October day now dreaming of sunshine powered by huge guitars and group choruses. Let's go straight to the notes I jotted down after first listening to the album at the gym this morning (which, by the way, definitely contributed to me logging 10,000 steps before 10 a.m.!).
If 5 Seconds Of Summer wrote good songs they might sound like this. I can't tell if this is kids with great production or pros who are aiming for super accessible HUGE pop-rock. Ah ... the press release says "Written and recorded over the past year in LA, following big-time touring runs with the likes of Weezer, Tegan and Sara, and Matt and Kim, the album came together after the five-piece band returned home and were forced to confront the day-to-day realities of everyday life." Yup, that sounds about right. 
It's super dumb but super fun and I think I super like it.
I mean, that about super sums it up. Check out two of the LP's tracks below and snag a copy of the album if you like them. If you're looking for a shortcut to blast out ever shortening days with an extra dose of psychic sunshine, this should do the trick.



No comments: