Thursday, December 14, 2006

Gonna fly now...

This morning I wake up in a chilly, wet Chicago but tonight I will be falling asleep warmed by the ocean-scented (okay, technically I guess that's gulf-scented) breeze of Naples, Florida. On one hand I couldn't have picked a worse weekend to take a mini winter vacation (see below) but at the same time I'm not exactly crying myself to sleep at the prospect of walking along a beach versus going to a rock and/or roll show.

My little brother has kindly agreed to house sit while we're gone, so our menagerie will be well cared for. He's also handling my show at Subterranean on Friday (again, see below), and I've already told Rudy not to try and trick him into believing that part of a promoter's job is to supply "stress reducing strippers" to the bands.

Anyway, our plan this weekend is to do a lot of lounging, a lot of reading, a lot of eating, and maybe a little tennis. We're staying with Photogal's dad in a ritzy retirement resort type of community so I'm not exactly expecting wild times. Instead I think this will be a weekend of pure unwinding tensions and well-earned relaxation. We may take a day-trip to the Everglades if we're so motivated but that's about the most taxing thing on the agenda.

It's going to be nice.

__________

Weekend planner.

Man is there a lot going on in Chicago this weekend. First and foremost is my show at Subterranean tomorrow night with The Midnight Shows, Team Band, and The Low Republic. All the pertinent details are in the following poster.



Tonight Megan Palmer and Ash In Pensacola will be providing a mellow vibe at The Pontiac. If you're looking for something a bit more uptempo, than the Naughty or Nice Holiday Beat Kitchen show (outlined in the below poster), packed with some of my absolute favorite local bands, is not to be missed.


Come to think of it, that above might just be one of the best local combinations on one bill I've seen in a long time. Wow.

Saturday Sweetish plays The Pontiac, and I'm a bit bummed I'll be missing them since this is Holly from Wonderful Smith's newest project with Ben Hilt.


I really dug Wonderful Smith, and have been looking forward to this show for quite a while, but didn't realize until about a week or two ago that I'd be out of town for it. Bummer!

Again, given the choice between show and beach, well, beach is going to win out every time.

No comments: