Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The Best Songs of 2008

The Best Songs of 2008

Now that my favorite albums of the year have been revealed in full on Chicagoist, my top songs of the year are now listed as well. The tunes I picked are all songs that will scream "2008!" any time I hear 'em. They may not be the highest charting singles, and some are barely even known to more than a handful of people ... but they are the top tracks on the mixtape that defines the feeling and experiences of 2008 for me.

TANKBOYS 50+1 SONGS OF 2008 (in almost no particular order)

MGMT "Kids"
Hey Champ "Cold Dust Girl"
Walter Meego "Girls"
Katy Perry "Hot N Cold"
The Black Ghosts "Repetition Kills You (with Damon Albarn)"
Neon Neon "I Told Her On Alderaan"
George Pringle "Carte Postale"
Alphabeat “10.000 Nights Of Thunder”
Amanda Palmer "Oasis"
Beck "Chemtrails"
Beyonce "Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)"
Black Kids "I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How To Dance With You (The Twelves Remix)"
British Sea Power "Down On The Ground"
Chairlift "Bruises"
Coldplay “42”
Cut Copy "Lights and Music"
Does It Offend You, Yeah? "Dawn Of The Dead"
Estelle “American Boy”
The Feeling “Turn It Up”
The Futureheads “Think Tonight”
Hot Chip "Ready For The Floor"
Jay Reatard "See/Saw"
Kanye West "RoboCop"
The Killers "Spaceman"
Ladytron "Ghosts"
La Scala “ Love! Love! Love!”
Ladyhawke “My Delirium”
Lettuce "Blast Off"
Lily Allen "The Fear"
M83 "Graveyard Girl (Speechless Edit)"
Mansions "The Worst Part"
Mardeen "Telephones"
of Montreal "Gallery Piece (Jon Brion remix)"
Phantom Planet "Leader"
Pink "So What"
Prairie Cartel "Homicide"
She & Him "I Was Made For You"
The Submarines "You Me and the Bourgeoisie"
Supergrass "Rebel In You"
The Boy Least Likely To "A Balloon On A Broken String"
Titus Andronic
The Ting Tings "Great DJ"
The Virgins "Rich Girls (RAC Mix)"
Weezer "Pork & Beans"
What Made Milwaukee Famous "Sultan"
Friendly Foes "My Body (Is A Strange Place To Live)
Black Mountain "Stormy High"
Darker My Love "Two Ways Out"
The Hold Steady "Sequestered In Memphis"
Local H "White Belt Boys"


...aaaaand, even though I was DJing the song regularly last year, it didn't really explode until the summer so...

M.I.A. "Paper Planes"

No comments: