Thursday, October 04, 2012

On the road again, old skool mooziks stylee.

I drove from Chicago to Battle Creek, Michigan and back again today. I was in a car with no cruis control and--gasp--no auxiliary input for my tankPHONE! So I had to resort to an ancient and arcane mode of musical conveyance. I dug out one of my old books of CDs and trucked it along with me.

I do still get CDs, but  often immediately rip them and store them digitally at this point, so the discs I had with me were from back when I DJed regularly, meaning some of the discs in there were mix CDs from ten plus years ago. And you know what? It was a LOT of fun listening to and rediscovering music I had forgotten about. It's funny how a song or a band you can love so intensely at one moment in time can slip to the wayside over the years. But when that song comes back on, you remember exactly why you liked it. And sometimes you remember exactly what you were doing at the time.

AT the outset I feared the trip would feel like it took forever since I was hampered by having to go through CDs from one point to another, but in the end time flew by and it was one of my favorite drives I've undertaken in years.

No comments: