Thursday, March 13, 2014

Dubstep may be dumb but it's supposed to be.


Photo by me. Yes, I know those are Deadmau5 helmets, and not Skrillex.
I just listened to the new Skrillex album and it didn't kill me. It did make me realize how stupid it is to slam him, or even mock dubstep in general, because considering how much I liked Fatboy Slim and The Chemical Brothers and Big Beat and pined for more aggression in my dance music in my early 20s it's not hard to see myself liking this stuff had it come out then too. It's big fucking dumb electronic dance music, and while I prefer something a little more interesting now, I can't fault Skrillex or his ilk for this mega crowd pleasing stuff. Personally, when I'm around the crowds getting down to this I find it squirm-worthy, but that might have more to do with the mega bro and sex kitten culture that seems to be triggered by crowds that size. But that's a whole 'nother story

No comments: