Monday, July 03, 2017

Fast Romantics slather 'American Love' with feel-good stadium hooks.

Fast Romantics photo by Jen Squires
Toronto's Fast Romantics have been around a while, but they're new to me. I played a game with Mich to see if she had the same reaction to the opening bars on the first song off their latest album American Love, and sure enough, she did.

"It sounds a lot like Bruce Springsteen."

And then the next few bars hit and starts to turn that initial read on its head. And then the vocals come in and you realize there's more to the band than Springsteen worship.

After a few songs I shared my mental musical equation regarding the band's sound:

It's like if Arcade Fire went to band camp with the E Street band, and then picked up the love child of Neil Diamond and Brandon Flowers to front the resulting sound.* And it totally works.

Here's a sampler of the new LP. You can buy the whole ting through the link in the player.



*I also admit thinking, "Is this the Canadian version of Steel Train?" But I like my initial equation better.


No comments: