Wednesday, July 05, 2017

How much new music did I listen to in June 2017? Let's find out!

A drenched but happy post-Tom Petty concert June photo.
A few days late, but the breakdown is in—I picked up the pace in June and was rewarded with an unusually high number of pretty meh albums. But hey, the majority were pretty good! So let's just dive into the stats.

Oh, and in case you need it, here's a guide to making sense of my personal rating system.

Total number of new/upcoming releases listened to in June 2017: 83

Number of those releases that rated 7-10: 6

Number of those releases that rated 4-6: 50

Number of those releases that rated 1-3: 27

Highest rated album: San Cisco’s The Water. I recently gushed about how the fizzy and jaunty rock-pop this Australia group specializes in has helped kick my summer up a notch.

New band I’d never heard of that caught me off guard: Nana Grizol. On Ursa Minor this Athens band with Elephant 6 affiliations plays tunes that flirt with orch pop (it kind of reminds me of the more upbeat-era Belle and Sebastian stuff, and maybe a bit of Beulah).

Most surprising discovery: Dan Auerbach’s Waiting On A Song still surprises me with how simple and straightforward it is, and how genuinely likable I still find it.

No comments: