Friday, January 12, 2018

Over-the-top Paradise.


The core of Paradise is married couple Tamar Berk and Steve Denekas. They live in Portland, but back in the early aughts I used to book Tamar’s band Starball. I didn’t even know she had a new band untilI stumbled across a Facebook post of hers last year about the impending release of Dawn of Paradise. I ordered the vinyl, honestly having no idea what they even sounded like, since I trusted Tamar’s songwriting instinct. Plus, who doesn’t want to support friends’ creative endeavors, right?

Dawn of Paradise may only contain nine songs, but it clocks in at almost an hour, and is fully steeped in the spirit of ‘70s prog with a glint of glam swagger thrown in. The arrangements can be byzantine, but the much never sounds stale.

Ostensibly the album is “a loving homage to the classic rock opera.” Much like Telethon’s album I posted here a while ago, I can’t really parse what the story is, but I don’t really care. It’s just a damn fie listen in a vein you  don’t really see mined all that often. Probably because when you tackle prog there is a very good chance you’ll end up looking either self serious or silly or both. Luckily Paradise is up to the task and takes things just seriously enough, but not too seriously.

So, put on your capes, and grow put your hair, because it’s time to take in the Dawn Of Paradise!

No comments: