Monday, November 19, 2018

Structure.

I know everyone likes to complain about their jobs, but after being unemployed for almost six months I've learned to love employment. While my job search never slackened, as the months went on I could feel all the structure in my life dissipate. You'd think with all that free time I'd be a raging party monster, or be ripping through stalled projects I never had the time for before. But instead I ended up just watching a lot of Netflix and rarely going out. Aside for festivals and the odd concert here or there, I was a pretty big homebody. I know; super exciting.

Since getting a job offer a few weeks ago my productivity has skyrocketed. It's funny how having less free time means I'm actually getting more accomplished! My stress levels have dropped and I've noticed I'm sleeping much better now. The last few months I've been plagued with insomnia, much of it caused by the hamster wheel of my thoughts that wouldn't stop spinning. Nowadays, if I'm not out, I'm in bed around 10. What the—?! Who is this guys! I love it.

This also means I'm able to be more supportive of the people around me. And I really enjoy being available in that capacity too.

So, appreciate the structure in your own life. You might not know it, but with that structure you're able to accomplish a lot more than you realize.

No comments: