Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Grateful.

This morning's walk in the snow is
definitely going in the gratitude journal today!
Just realized I hadn't written anything non-9-to-5 related since last Friday! I won't trot out the whole "what day is this" trope since by this point it's not funny, but it is universal. I am lucky enough to still be working from home, but things have changed so much since I was last physically in the office.

So, a few days ago I started a gratitude journal. I attempted to keep one back when my marriage was crumbling in order to remind me of the good things in my life, but that fell by the wayside as the bad things took over. Of course, that was the time when I probably needed reminders of all the positive elements around me, but I wasn't ready to see that.

Since the whole COVID-19 lockdown started I've been busier than ever with work, but I've also had more quiet moments of reflection to enjoy on my many walks around my neighborhood over the last few weeks. I've been discovering parts of my neighborhood I'd somehow missed over the last 2 years of living here. I've also been buoyed by the signs of community all around me, even if we can't get close to each other. Sidewalk chalk art, lotsa bunnies and squirrels, so many waves from across the street from neighbors showing silent solidarity in our social distancing, so many things I've decided to open myself up to seeing that have resulted in a smile and the understanding that while those with largest bullhorns are doing us no good in this trying time, we are all trying to look out for each other at a local and neighborhood level.

So I started a new gratitude journal, because I'm finally ready to embrace the view that my world is still filled with wonder and joy and magic. That was something I truly thought no longer existed for me. I'm so happy that it does, and if it exists for me it must exist for you too!

No comments: