Friday, July 10, 2020

The Lees Of Memory take their 'Moon Shot' into the musical stratosphere.


I listen to tons of new music and am often searching for under the radar stuff to turn you onto, but this is an example of how there is so much out there I can miss releases by bands I already love! Luckily the Dig Me Out crew mentioned The Lees Of Memory recently released a new album so I paid to download it right away.

The Lees Of Memory features John Davis and Brandon Fisher of Superdrag, along with drummer Nick Slack. Their last release was 2017's The Blinding White Of Nothing At All, a sprawling double album exploration of the group's groovier and psychedelic pop inclinations.* I loved it, but it was a lot to take in.

This year's Moon Shot pulls the focus back in and (I hope Davis doesn't hate me for saying this) is the most "Superdrag" sounding thing the group has done so far. My impression is that The Lees of Memory began as a broad playground for the trio to indulge all their various interests, but on Moon Shot the band is ready to rock and have picked a unified direction for doing so, and you're in for a thrilling ride.

Stream the whole album below, but if you want an immediate adrenaline hit, fire up "Crocodile Tears." It manages to stuff all the band's strengths into a single tune, and it honestly made the hair on the back of my neck stand up the first time heard it. Literally.




*If you dig the vibe of The Blinding White Of Nothing At All I highly recommend you check out the entire Hushdrops catalog that recently made it's way onto Bandcamp as well.

No comments: